Thursday 1 January 2015

Excuses, excuses!

It's ridiculously easy to make excuses for our lack of motivation. I've used all of the following at some time, and I know you have too.

  • I'ts too early
  • It's too late
  • I'm too busy
  • It's too hard/complicated
  • It's too hot/cold
  • I'm tired
  • I don't know where to start
  • I keep getting interrupted
  • I get no support...
...aaaand so on.

In another post we tackle these excuses and what we can do about them, but today's challenge is to look at things in a different way.

Today we start making excuses for WHY WE SHOULD or HOW WE CAN do the thing we want to do. It's a proven fact that positive self-talk works. Athletes do it all the time! We can talk ourselves into or out of things with the power of positive self-talk.

Try some of these:
  • I'll feel better about myself
  • I'll be happier (and so will everyone that has to listen to us)
  • I'll be more productive
  • I'll save money
  • Other people have done it
Here's an exercise:
Whatever your goal, write it down and keep it where you'll see it (on the fridge, in your diary, on your computer desktop) and also write your excuses - the positive ones, not the negative ones.
Here's an example:
You get the idea. You could list 100 excuses to quit smoking, but it will have more impact if you highlight the ones that mean the most to you.

See xxxx for advice on breaking down those goals into more specific and manageable steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment